Saturday 1 June 2013

Retire !

 
No I have not rolled a '1' on my moral test and am forced to retire - after 43 years in the same job I have been offered and have decided to take Voluntary Redundancy ! . After years of working outside in all weathers doing a manual job and suffering the aches and pains it brings I must admit I jumped at the chance . I started in 1970 for Westmorland County Council Highways Department at 16 years old and now Cumbria County Council (as it is now) are cutting back on Highway Maintenance personal I thought it time to get out , in the near future I am going to be a 'House Husband' and see how it goes . This will give me more time to wargame but not as much money to spend on it which is not a bad thing I believe . This will mean my wife can get a dog - she already has her eyes set on a Spaniel puppy - so dog walking is on the cards as well !. I have been looking through my 'Lead Mountain' and with so many unfinished projects I have enough to be going on with for quite a while I believe . Oh and there's the jungle I call the garden to sort out as well !.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, sounds as though you have earned it! I look forward to seeing the fruits of all your spare time (and a picture of the new dog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos of the dog to follow - to be called 'Charlie' I'm informed !

      Delete
  2. You still won't have enough time to fit in all you want to get done! Enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try - I already have lots to do - if they get done is another matter !

      Delete
  3. Have an utterly splendid time you sound like you deserve it! I look forward to exploring the lead mountain here...
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to confess I'm a little jealous, sounds just about perfect to me - all the very best for the retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy it. It sounds fantastic. A fair way off for me yet. Like you see it will be good to get some projects finished off. There always birthdays and Christmas as opportunities to expand the lead pile a little. Perhaps even do some hobby work and perhaps paint for a bit of cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes have been thinking of painting up some stuff for EBay for the 'Toy Soldier' market.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the club! I wish you a very long, happy, healthy and hobby-full retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - feels like I'm on holiday at the moment ! , don't think its sunk in yet.

      Delete
  7. Same thing happened to me in December last year. You will be amazed how quickly you can paint figures without the blasted day job getting in the way. Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I'm getting into the swing of things now - will miss the people - but NOT the work !

      Delete